Join us to Seek Justice for Mir Murtaza Bhutto

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I love Tupac : Fatima Bhutto

Ipsita Basu Dasgupta
April 06, 2010

Songs of Blood and Sword, Fatima Bhutto’s latest book, has generated buzz the world over. Of course, the sprightly
27-year-old has much more to her than just politics and tragedy

Are you being taken care of, in India?
That’s what my friends in Pakistan ask when I speak to them. They are worried if I am being treated well here, or if people are being horrible. Then when I speak to people in India, they ask me with apprehension, “How will you go back to Pakistan, after all that has come out in your book? Won’t you face a backlash?” People on both sides are concerned about me, which is wonderful!

I get into a lot of trouble for not being guarded…
No I don’t feel vulnerable even though people now have access to my life, through the book. My aim was to speak openly and honestly. The idea of fear today is a familiar one. So through the book, I hope people realise that it is possible to overcome fear and survive it.

It feels good to get it out after all these years…
Stories of violence and deaths in the family have been locked up for too long. But it helps to talk about it, because it opens the space for others to talk about similar experiences.

I am not a power holder. I am not accountable.
A politician has an obligation and accountability to the people. They deserve to be grilled by the public. I am just a free individual and I have nothing to hide.

I love Tupac
I love Hip Hop music and it feels like poetry to me. I was once asked to talk about poetry in a school to seventh graders. I got them to listen to Tupac and they were very happy!

Not that many men hit on me!
It is a strange new phase in my life. I have been so busy that there has been no time for love. Also men sometimes seem a little shy of me. I think a lot of intelligent women have a problem, when men cannot speak to someone with brains.

I dig dosas
I am a vegan and I love South Asian food which includes Sri Lankan, Indian, Pakistani and South Indian. There is a small restaurant in Karachi that makes dosas and it’s an absolute favourite of mine.

Three Idiots it is

I don’t follow Bollywood movies regularly but my bother and best friend are big fans. Every four years, they tell me “You have to watch this movie.” That’s when I see it. This time around, they have been raving about Three Idiots, which is a big hit in Pakistan too.

I absolutely love wearing saris…
I grew up watching my grandmother who was Iranian and my mother, who is Lebanese, wearing saris. I have been wearing saris to the book launches in India. During one such event in Delhi, someone thanked me for wearing an Indian outfit. But I told them that “We see it as our dress too!”

Source :
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/article/31/2010040620100406022553989afa104ca/I-love-Tupac-.html

2 comments:

  1. Fatima, we love you! Please share with us the story of how you became vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fatima,

    I am very proud of you. You are pretty, intelligent and kind hearted. You are a kind of of person the world need. We love you in India. You have to remember the Bhuttos are Rajputs clan, so you are very well come in India. I want to see India and Pakistan to feel they are proud brothers and sisters having 6000 years of history. We have to take care the land from Afaghanistan to Srilanka make it prosperous land.

    ReplyDelete