Join us to Seek Justice for Mir Murtaza Bhutto

Friday, August 28, 2009

Fatima Bhutto, Whispers of The Desert

“To my darling Papa,
with all the love in
the world…
this is our story.”

You are, page 3

You are
a solitary
star
in a dark,
empty sky.
You
light up the evening
and never
do you
die.
You are a dazzling
sapphire
that shines
only
in my eyes.
For you are
my star
and I
am but your sky.
(end 1995)

I feel your tender lips, page 12

I feel your tender lips
against mine. Could this
be magic?
Could this be true?

How many nights
have I dreamt of this?
Come
into my arms once more.
Let me feel you are here.

So much time
has passed since
I last held you this close.

Tell me you love me.
Let me hear those sweet words
whispered in my ears.

I cannot believe
you’re here with me.
I’ve counted the seconds
for this moment to come.

But now
that you’re finally here,
tell me
when will
you disappear?
(mid 1996)

I have lost the love, page 27

I have lost the love of my life
but she is not gone
she is still with me.
I have seen her
smile in my sleep. I have felt
her breath on my shoulder as I lie
resting.

I have heard her laughter floating
in the air
and I can still feel her heart beating
next to mine.
(mid 1996)

I lie in the darkness, page 31

I lie in the darkness
unaware of where I stand.
I cannot see you
but feel you standing by me.
I know I am alone
yet I sense your presence.
I feel protected
by your shield,
your armour of love.
The day that armour
breaks
is the day
I shall be truly alone
without you.
(mid 1995)

Will you be near me, page 33


Will you be near me when evening falls?
Protect me from the cold wind,
hold me in your arms?
When the moon lights up the land,
will I have you with me?
When the stars
glitter in the darkness, will you kiss me?
Keep me until the night lifts and daylight gleams
upon us?
Or will the clouds descend on you and sweep you
far away?
(late 1995)

He walks away, page 36

He walks away
with promises of return.
I fear that won’t happen.
But what do I know?
I am but a woman.

He comes back wounded.
He will never heal.
What do I know?
I am but a woman.

He falls,
will not rise.
What do I know?
I am but a woman.
(early 1995)

She sits, page 38

She sits on a throne,
surrounded by others
who grovel at her feet.
She seats them next to her
and dismisses the ones who stand.
She co-operates with those sitting next to her and
forgets the ones who stood
She searches for those who know nothing better
than to worship her every more.
But during all this,
she neglects those who stood there waiting,
waiting for less than power,
waiting for basic needs to be met.
Yet she does nothing but smile at them
and make promises she knows she cannot keep.
Not because of hate.
Not because of greed.
Because power blinds those who are
ignorant.
(early 1995)

He looks on, page 39


He looks on
with caring eyes
sees people from within
ignores exteriors
welcomes them in shares their pain
listens
understands
not like others he feels
not judges
could one this strong
you wonder
have feelings this deep?
Yes yes indeed for compassion
is born only
by those strong within
(early 1995)

Up in the mountains, page 45


Up in the mountains,
I am free, calm,
High, near the heavens,
where the air is clearer,
I am myself at last.
I cry without an audience. I smile
without guilt.
I change for no one.
I am loved
as I am.
(end 1994)

11 comments:

  1. i would like to thank u for creating this blog, the poems were nice, if possible share excerpts of fatima bhutto's other book about 2005 earthquake, and also afew other poems from whispers of the desert if possible

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thnx 4 ur appreciation. I'll post the excerpts from 2005 earthquake book, but there will be a delay with regards to the poems as at the moment none of the contributors has a copy of that book. But we surely will try our best.

    Do keep checking the blog & spread the word.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great work guyz.
      Will u plz tell me if the book is still available in Pakistan.

      Delete
  3. This is realy Great work
    Fatima you proved that that u are die hard worker
    Salute to

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fatima you are a great writer......i greatly admire your work !!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi... I want this book but am not getting it..
    Can u pls help me purchase a soft/hard copy of the same??
    I really wanna read it.
    My email id is tulsyan.kanupriya@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work Guyz.
    Would u plz telll me if this book is still available any whare in pakistan?
    plz do reply on my comment or contact me on my i.d
    zainali01@yahoo.com
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. fatima i love and respect you. you are a real bhutto

    ReplyDelete
  8. @kanypriya there is no soft copy available, if u are not based in Pakistan then check out on amazone

    @Zain try www.786cart.com

    ReplyDelete